My name is Lini, and I created this blog to document my favorite whole food, plant-based recipes. I have been eating a plant-based diet for over 5 years now, and I feel amazing inside and out! Eating this way has really transformed my life.
5 years ago, I was actually looking into doing a cleanse. It was January, about that time when everyone wants to get on top of their diet and exercise habits. I ended up coming across the documentary Forks Over Knives. If you haven’t seen it, the documentary talks about how processed foods and cheap animal products are destroying our health in America and how a whole food, plant-based diet can not only prevent but even reverse disease! This truly blew my mind and inspired me to do more research on the topic. Up until that point, I had never really thought about the way our diet affects disease. So I decided to give the “vegan thing” a try for a week. Long story short, it’s 5-years later and the “cleanse” hasn’t ended. I just started feeling SO good when I was eating plant-based, that if I ate processed foods or animal products, it would make me feel terrible. This was enough motivation to keep me going.
One of the common questions I get from people is, “what changes did you see when you started eating a plant based diet?” So I thought I would list some for you:
- My IBS went away. Although I was never formally diagnosed with IBS, I had all the symptoms of it and was pretty sure I had it. I was always afraid of going out of town or eating at a friend’s house because I didn’t know how my digestive system was going to react. Thankfully now, as long as I eat within the confines of the plant based diet, I never have to worry about those random, terrible stomach aches and trips to the bathroom.
- My hair started growing thicker and faster. I always dreamed of having long hair, but I couldn’t seem to get it to grow past my collar bones. I even invested in hair extensions because I had given up on growing it myself. After several months of eating this way, I started noticing my hair was growing faster and felt healthier! And now, if you’ve seen pictures of me or know me, I have healthy hair down to the middle of my back! I cut 5-6 inches off every 8 months or so, yet it grows right back!
- I have a lot of energy. One of my favorite changes I’ve noticed is my rapid increase in daily energy. The awesome thing about plant-based foods is that the body can process them into energy a lot faster than animal products. So it keeps my energized throughout the day instead of wanting to take naps.
- My menstrual cycle is a breeze. Ever since I’ve been eating plant based, my menstrual cycle has become so simple. I no longer get painful cramps, and sometimes I don’t have any cramps at all.
- I rarely get sick. I maybe only get sick once a year, and it’s usually related to sleep deprivation/exhaustion. When the flu and colds comes around, I am usually not affected.
- My confidence has greatly increased. Since I feel so great on the inside when eating plant-based, it has totally increased my self-esteem. It just makes me feel really good and healthy and, combined with regular exercise, I have seen such an improvement in the way I feel about my appearance as well.
Just to wrap it up, I want to point out that I believe the healthiest diet is a diet of predominantly plants with the occasional serving of organic, non-GMO, grass-fed animal products. I believe our diets were never intended to revolve so heavily around meat & dairy (especially to the level we process it now). While I totally support eating high quality meat products, I figured my followers probably have that part down. So I have devoted this blog to help with ideas for incorporating more plant-based recipes into your life!